What is "peace and conflict management studies?"
Peace and Conflict Management Studies is an interdisciplinary academic field that draws on international relations, psychology, sociology, anthropology, political science, communications, history, law, philosophy and education. It seeks to understand (1) causes of violent conflicts within and between societies, nations and states; (2) means of managing, reducing and resolving such conflicts; and (3) processes of developing peaceful and just relationships within and between societies.

What does one do with a degree in peace and conflict management studies?
A master's degree in peace and conflict management studies prepares students for a wide variety of careers. Graduates may become researchers, educators, negotiators, mediators, government officials, businesspeople, activists, and professionals in organizations focused on human rights, dispute resolution, environmental protection, international law, and human and economic development. For more information about careers in peace and conflict mangement, click here.

How long is the program?
This is a one-year graduate program divided into three consecutive semesters (fall, spring and summer).  

When does the program start? When does it end?
The program start and end dates vary each year according to the Jewish calendar. The academic year begins between the end of September and the end of October and ends in September. See the academic calendar for upcoming program dates.

Can Israeli and International students apply to this program?
Yes, this program is open to all students, especially international students looking to experience Israel in an academic setting and Israelis looking for an international learning environment.

Is it mandatory to study language as part of the program?
No, but the International School offers intensive courses during the summer, fall and spring semesters in both the Hebrew and Arabic language. We encourage students to study one of the languages spoken in Israel. 

Can I spend just one semester in the program as a visiting student?
Subject to space limitations, graduate students studying in related degree programs abroad may choose to enroll - as visiting students - for one semester. 

Can I transfer credit from a different program?
Yes, students who have studied in similar master's programs at other accredited institutions may transfer up to 50% of the credits required by the University of Haifa program. If you choose the thesis track, you may transfer up to 14 credits and if you choose the non-thesis track you may transfer up to 18 credits. The precise number of credits approved for transfer will be determined individually on the basis of the student's transcripts. Transfer students must go through the same admissions procedure as all other applicants.

Is there an English language requirement for admission to the program? 
Yes, all candidates, who have not previously studied at an institution of higher education where the language of instruction is English or who are not native speakers of English, must submit official TOEFL scores or equivalent as part of the application. The minimum TOEFL score required for admission is: 570 on the paper-based test, 230 on the computer-based test or 89 on the internet-based test.

Do I need to submit all my application materials together?
No, you are able to submit your application materials as soon as they are ready. We will open a file for you and once we receive all of your materials, we will send it to the review committee. Your recommenders may send in their letter if they wish to do so.

I intend to pursue the thesis track. Do I need to take all my electives in the fall and spring semesters?
No, you may defer some of the electives to the summer semester.

What kinds of recommendation letters are acceptable?
Ideally, we would like to receive two letters of recommendation from faculty members at institutions of higher education who have taught you and can attest to your academic abilities. If you are not able to obtain such recommendations or can only obtain one, we may accept recommendations from persons who have supervised you in professional settings that are relevant to the program's objectives (e.g. organizations working in conflict resolution, peacebuilding, human rights, development, etc.). Recommendations from persons not meeting these criteria may be added to the required recommendations but cannot replace them.

My undergraduate degree is in a discipline outside of the social sciences. Can I still apply?
Yes, but you may be required to take prerequisite courses. If you are fluent in Hebrew, you may take the prerequisite courses at the University of Haifa in the summer semester before beginning the master's program. If not, you may take them at any institution of higher education in your home country.

I am in my last year of my undergraduate studies and expect to graduate in the spring. Can I still apply?
Yes, but your acceptance will be conditional upon completing your undergraduate studies before beginning the program with the minimum required GPA. For graduates of Israeli institutions only, final grades for completed undergraduate courses may be received until the end of the fall semester.

My undergraduate GPA is below 3.0 or 80%. Can I still apply?
You may submit a request for special consideration by the admissions committee. In the request letter, explain why you believe that your application merits consideration despite not meeting the minimum requirements. Note that wanting very much to study in the program is not a good enough reason for special consideration. However, relevant professional experience or special circumstances during undergraduate studies may be grounds for consideration. The request must be submitted in writing and approved by the committee before a full application is submitted.

I am an Israeli citizen, but have lived abroad for many years. Do I apply as an Israeli or as an international student?
You may use either application procedure. Contact the admissions office at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. to determine whether you will be required to pay the Israeli or the international tuition.

I intend to make Aliyah when starting the program. Do I apply as an Israeli or as an international student?
Use the application procedure for international candidates. Once you become an Israeli citizen, you will be eligible for reduced tuition.

You are here: Home FAQ